You’ll find them ranting on street corners and in VC pitches.

Really smart people admit they aren't omnipotent.

This entry was posted in arrogance, communication. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to You’ll find them ranting on street corners and in VC pitches.

1. Liana says:

I used to love your website. I find this post smug, actually. We are living in a time which needs people who are absolutely certain to be totally audible without being told they are ‘sick’.
    Shame on you.

2. Liana says:

We need to support new types of energy, new business models or we’re repeating the same mistakes. Your card today is pretty jacked up….what happened? You’re making fun of people who are ‘mentally ill’ or protesting a really sick societal norm….? Wow!

3. SAM says:

Wonderful! Seems like Ken Ham clearly fits this description. :-)

4. SAM says:

True of both Ken Ham and Westboro Baptist? :)

5. Richard says:

Shut up, Liana! This card is a fact. Anyone who says they are absolutely certain (not 90% sure or even 99.9% sure) is either lying or insane.

• Liana says:

You are absolutely certain I should shut up and you are certain this card is a fact, lol. You just defeated yourself Richard. So we should all be uncertain all the time, and not act all the time. Sounds great. Uncertainty is beautiful and it works most of the time. Sometimes sleepy heads need to wake up and I’m not talking about westborodummies or whoever kenham is. This post makes no reference to either. This work is abstract but the message of this card is if you are upset, certain and loud you’re ill. Think about it Sir Mr. Certain Richard. That’s all.

• Liana says:

lmao and sad. If this card is about a knuckle head creationist there is a different way to state it, cause from where I’m standing (which is too busy doing a bunch of stuff, to keep up with a scientist battling a creationist…..biting my nails to see who is right cause we’re all ‘open to discovery’….ie I’m not betting on either. Science is always evolving (also known as wrong a lot) and creationist are clinging to a book that may have been written by folks experimenting hallucinogens accidentally. Anyhow, this card just looks like its making fun of marginalized people without a bigger explanation….ohhh private joke….online. Makes sense.

6. Sheena says:

I actually really like this post. With anything in the universe, there is always, always a degree of uncertainty. A new piece of evidence can completely topple any tightly held belief, no matter how “proven.” To quote Karl Popper, one of the most influential science philosophers ever, “the game of science is, in principle, without end. He who decides one day that scientific statements do not call for any further test, and that they can be regarded as finally verified, retires from the game.”

Science relies heavily on the idea that, though we may not have all the evidence, we can move forward with what we know until new information comes to light. It’s about recognizing the uncertainty, but weighing the evidence by merit and moving on.

Any scientist, philosopher, innovator, etc., who tells you he/she is “absolutely certain” is a liar. We can never know everything, but that shouldn’t stop us from trying.

• Liana says:

But can you not be certain something is ‘wrong’….i.e. certain crimes against humanity, the environment, kids… ? Are we all supposed to intellectualize until ‘more evidence’. I dare you to not find certain things that are wrong. If you get audible about them are you sick? Why is everyone so blind and weird about this?

7. Stripe says:

Questions allow us to explore our world, our beliefs, and ourselves, to learn about them. Absolute Certainty rejects the very need for questions. There is no exploration, no learning, just memorization and repetition. I think that’s pretty darned crazy, but I’m not certain; it might only be stupid.

• Liana says:

So you ‘like’ kids and animals and hurting the environment? Totally joking but this is my point. There are times to be clear. Blurred lines are way to popular.

8. Liana says:

Despite what you may think, I love this conversation. I love thisisindexed but occasionally it comes across as a little smug. I would never voice that but then I take a hiatus and revisit. I have an attitude from being a fan that yeah it’s cool, but sometimes it’s a little shitty or could be read the way wrong way…then ….yeah! I revisit it and am attacked for not being ‘in on the joke’. Dumb. Sorry. Maybe cards should just come with a broader explanation so new comers or once in awhilers don’t think it’s gross. Or is that dumbing down in your eyes? Is expressing an attitude on a card a bad idea in 2014 when things are so complicated? …..comfortable ‘discovery’ I guess.