Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, Illustrated

Chapter 8, Verse 11

Chapter 8, Verse 11

Over at Forbes, I’ve been posting my take on Sun Tzu’s The Art of War. The book was written in short verses, and each verse now has a corresponding diagram. In total, there are almost 300 illustrations.

It’s a project that was a lot of fun to draw and noodle on, and one I’m rather proud of. Have a look:

Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, Illustrated (Chapter 1: Laying Plans)

Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, Illustrated (Chapter 2: Waging War) ‪

Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, Illustrated (Chapter 3: Attack by Stratagem)

Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, Illustrated (Chapter 4: Tactical Dispositions)

Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, Illustrated (Chapter 5: Energy) ‪

Sun Tzu’s The Art Of War, Illustrated (Chapter 6: Weak Points And Strong)

Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, Illustrated (Chapter 7: Maneuvering) ‪

Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, Illustrated (Chapter 8: Variation in Tactics)

Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, Illustrated (Chapter 9: The Army on the March)

Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, Illustrated (Chapter 10: Terrain)

Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, Illustrated (Chapter 11: The Nine Situations, Part 1)

Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, Illustrated (Chapter 11: The Nine Situations, Part 2)

Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, Illustrated (Chapter 12: Attack by Fire)

Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, Illustrated (Chapter 13: The Use of Spies)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, Illustrated

1. MrArocena says:

Love it, but I don’t suppose there’s an easy to click link to download all of the images in one go?

2. Jefe says:

If this were ever available for sale in book form, I’d happily purchase it.

3. Gavin White says:

Okay, so where can I buy your edition of Sun Tzu’s Art of War?

4. Sun Tzu says:

I would definitely buy this, for myself and as gifts for others.

5. Luis says:

Pretty amazing. FYI, you misspelled “recipe” as “recipie” in chapter 1.

6. Ed says:

Publish. This. Now.

Seeriously, I would love to purchase this in book form.

It is Amazing!

8. Dave says:

I too would purchase this book (if it existed!)

My only disappointment was the illustration for verse 17 of Chap 4

although I get the picture it doesn’t to me reflect the main element of the verse

1. Measurement
    2. Estimation of quantity
    3. Calculation of risk
    4. victory

disappointed because its my favorite verse

Oh Well

• Sun Tzu says:

When correctly translated, we actually get:

“The skilled in the planning and directing the effective use of military operations and forces cultivate the Way2 and protect and maintain the laws, rules and methods of war so that they are able to be the controllers of victory and defeat.

The principles of governing victory:

Gather and measure data

Evaluate the data

Count and sort the data

Weigh the counted and sorted data

Victory

The actual world gives birth to data to be gathered and measured.

Gathering and measuring data gives birth to evaluating data.

Evaluating data gives birth to counting and sorting of data.
      Counting and sorting data gives birth to weighing.

Weighing gives birth to victory.”

Excerpt From: Sun Tzu “The Technology of War”

9. eilu says:

I don’t usually comment, but I just have to say, WOW, and add my voice to those wanting to buy this as a book/ebook.

10. Stripe says:

I’m picturing one circle labeled “The Art of War” and another, labeled “Illustrated”, and a small overlap between the two, labeled “You Rule!”

And I, too, want to buy this as a book.

11. Pingback: Off topic: Named after JFK, airline seating, ’tis the season for Elmo, dear artwork, ‘The Art of War’ | SiliconBeat