How words feel in your mouth.

So I was thinking of epiphanies, and the word “Eureka” came up.

You've got it

That word sounds like an infection, or a pain associated with vomit, or something horrible and medical.

The doctor said solemnly, “Eureka, you’ve got it. An acute case, in fact.”

So then I thought of all the nice-sounding medical words that are actually really nasty things.

Like evil aunties in Roald Dahl books

And then I put those two things together.

words are fun

This entry was posted in language, sickness. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to How words feel in your mouth.

1. Stripe says:

‘Malaria…
    I’ve just met a girl named Malaria,
    and suddenly I’ve found
    how misleading a sound
    can be…’

2. C Barnes says:

I’ve long thought that Polio sounds rather delicious, something you’d want a bowl of with a nice table wine.

3. marthaeliza says:

crepuscular is a particularly unfortunate word. it sounds like a crusty, pus-filled skin lesion, when it’s really the most lovely time of day. a recent YA fiction trilogy should have been titled “Crepuscular”.

4. James Watriss says:

Oh, internet. You know… You just KNOW…

Somebody, somewhere, is now going to name their daughter ‘Eureka Malaria.’

5. A says:

The spelling is chlamydia.

6. Cindy M says:

I worked with a girl who thought that diarrhea would be a lovely name if it wasn’t such an ugly thing.

7. protoopus says:

“Eureka!”

“I’ll batha.”

8. Erin says:

Oh! We used to play this game in vet school all the time! My favorite is Listeria monocytogenes. Sounds like a beautiful foreign girl. So wanted to name a kid that.

9. Stripe says:

Out for a walk in the woods the other day, I came across a small club fungus I had forgotten about, the candle-snuff fungus, “Xylaria hypoxylon”. Another great name, for a small and grungy type of fungi. Sounds like the queen of a space colony to me.