I was asked to illustrate the meaning of life.

For an answer to that rhetorical question, I referred to my favorite dead philosopher, Jeremy Bentham. Happiness is the answer (obviously), and so I used his 9 Pleasures of Stimulation as a basis for the illustration.

This is the result, which appeared recently in the German publication, Süddeutsche Zeitung Magazin.

And below is the English version (click to enlarge).

This entry was posted in 5x7, philosophy, work. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to I was asked to illustrate the meaning of life.

1. Chris L says:

You’re awesome.

2. Chris McCray says:

Poster.

Please, make this available to buy poster size.

This is 100% awesomesauce!

3. Mapel says:

Really nice.
    Already my favorite post of this blog.

4. YOU are the most amazingly brilliant genius! <3

5. fireflight says:

Did anybody else start by looking up all the Gs?

6. Pingback: What Makes Life Worth Living? An Illustrated Answer

7. Neil says:

Although Bentham’s utilitarian philosophy is superficially appealing, it has some unfortunate consequences. The central problem is that you can use it to justify just about anything. If a majority perceives improved happiness in the benefits accruing to them from the enslavement of a minority, then the happiness of the greater number might be used to justify the misery of the smaller.

8. Steve Robinson says:

Sheer, unadulterated brilliance!

9. Hollow tree ventures says:

This is my new favorite thing ever.

10. Pingback: Suggestion Saturday: December 29, 2012 | On The Other Hand