You can’t use logic against belief.

This entry was posted in faith, politics. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to You can’t use logic against belief.

• Sofa Spud says:

In and of itself, faith is neither good nor bad; good or bad arises from what is done with it. Of course, most religionists (be they Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Jainist, Atheist, Pastafarian, whatever) don’t understand the difference between “faith” and “if you don’t agree with my unfounded insecurities, I’m gonna break your face.”

Also, conspiracy “theorists” operate not on faith, but on delusion, which is almost entirely unrelated.

• Joel says:

“Faith” is just a delusional belief in something without any supporting evidence. Faith and Delusion aren’t just related, they’re interrelated.

• Lynn says:

So right! In trying to communicate to friends that have irrational beliefs I’m often frustrated by their inability to see this. They don’t see the historical aspect of faith and how it’s been used to control people. Why are modern humans still holding on to caveman era fears and thinking. Guess we are not all that “evolved”. The best we can hope for is to just be kind to each other. I want kind logic.

• Miss C says:

Atheism isn’t a religion (an atheist is a person that doesn’t believe in a god or gods, and that is all), and Buddhists wouldn’t be Buddhist if they had that attitude (at least, not Buddhists that want to reach the highest level of enlightenment).

As for faith and what is “good” or “bad,” it depends on what the person considers “good” or “bad.”

I’d like to note also that some “conspiracy theories” have been proven right in the past, so you can’t say it’s entirely on delusion, if at all. — Some people, yes, but not always.

• melior says:

Pastafarians, au contraire, do understand this difference quite well; it may in fact be why they espouse Pastafarianism. (Pastafarianism was not created by the Flying Spaghetti Monster to meet your preconceptions).

Atheists are distinguished by their lack of faith, a condition which is quite different than faith. (It is in fact its opposite.)

1. I continue to love you and your juicy brains. :-)

2. Charlie Seven says:

Why Obama showing his birth certificate will prove unsuccessful.

3. soren024 says:

Inspired by a presidential birth certificate scandal?

4. Rob says:

Was actually thinking the exact same thing yesterday when i heard about the Obama birth certificate, figured the people who didn’t believe at first would just claim it was faked

5. adamo says:

Oh how much I wish I had done this drawing myself! It accurately describes what I’ve been telling colleagues for years: “The only thing that you can do with a conspiracy theory, is to amplify it!”.

6. Patrick says:

Oh my god look at that CHART. It’s so witty! Goah I wish I was this college educated. I love me some pretense.

7. tim says:

I was thinking of buying this on a T-shirt for my Truther friend, but then it’s about the size of a postage stamp on the Zazzle T-shirt. I’d look into that…

8. Aliman says:

However, “B” isn’t frequently an argument, only an assertion.

9. cole says:

I came across your blog today as well as your section within Beautiful Visualization – just wanted to say I really enjoy your work!

10. Sofa Spud says:

Actually, you can use logic against belief. You’re just highly unlikely to convince anyone of anything that way.

11. Robert says:

One of your best. Fits right in with a quote I use as a sig on some forums I’m a member of.

“You can’t reason a person out of a position they didn’t reason themselves into.”

12. Pingback: How Can Anyone Still Be a Creationist? | Hating God - With due respect and all

13. Bill says:

This is a real problem for democracy – you cannot convince a dumbass to be not a dumbass with reasoned argument.

Likewise, no amount of evidence will convince stupid people that they are wrong. If they had the imagination or intelligence to come to a reasoned conclusion, they would have done so already.

Stupid people don’t understand how reasoned argument works, so they respond with slogans, inane catchphrases, and not-so-clever ad hominem attacks.

Now ponder for a moment that we are stuck with large numbers of these semi-retarded voters who are 1) easily distracted by political non-issues and 2) vote against their own interests even when they try to pay attention.

This is why the banks are raping us, this is why China is overtaking us, and this is why I weep for the future of this country…because you can’t fix stupid primates.

Welcome to hell.

14. Bill says:

Why no post on Friday? Did “they” come and get our favorite (fill-in-the-blank)? “They” have abducted her.

15. brian says:

Nice – the parabolic shape is indeed an accurate representation.

16. Stripe says:

Here we have a graphic depiction defining the word “Unreasonable”.

And, in a related story, apparently Donald Trump is demanding to see Bin Laden’s death certificate.

17. Kellie says:

This chart is so interesting– you are very clever!

18. kevin p says:

People will believe what they want to believe no matter what, more evidence just makes them more stubborn.

19. Adrian says:

If you could use logic against belief, religion would be mostly irrelevent and the world would likely be a better place. Sadly, it’s not so.

20. Ke'Mo says:

Even Atheist themselves have faith. Every human has faith that their reasoning is sound and logic can’t be refuted. Faith is an inescapable condition of human existence.