A little something for the pagans.

This entry was posted in faith. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to A little something for the pagans.

1. Athena says:

AHEM.
    Eros is not one of the Olympians.

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention A little something for the pagans. | Indexed -- Topsy.com

3. Marcus says:

Wrath and Poseidon? Tsunami, anyone?

4. lolamouse says:

I love this! Illustrations would be great.

5. othro says:

I think Ares is the other way around
    anyway, great post, greater blog

6. Stripe says:

And at the intersection of Baubo and Blessings, we find Indexed.

7. Pennomi says:

Wow… I didn’t know that they HAD index cards that size! (just kidding)

This one is now one of my favorites! You’ve really outdone yourself.

8. Bora Cobanoglu says:

Thanks for referring to the god of ecstasy and winemaking as Dionysus (greek) and not Bacchus (roman).

9. Pingback: A little something for the pagans. | Indexed - The Winsome Scholar

10. Just when I thought your wit couldn’t get any better :) Nice one…

11. marc sobel says:

Give me that old time religion,
    Give me that old time religion,
    Give me that old time religion,
    It’s good enough for me.

12. ALCie says:

For Apollo and wrath, did anyone else think of Katy Perry at the VMAs?

13. Pingback: Stumbling Over Chaos :: Linkity, plus 2010 Reading Year in Review

14. Panda says:

Replace Ares with Kratos and win

15. johanges says:

Let’s see… looks all Greek to me.

In alphabetical order; Aphrodite, Apollo, Ares, Artemis, Demeter, Dionysus, Eros, Hades, Hephaestus, Hera, Hermes, Hestia, Poseidon, and Zeus.

A pretty good rundown on the Olympic Twelve, but you have fourteen here. Hm…

Eros is either a primordial god (born out of Chaos together with Gaia and Tartarus, or out of the Cosmic Egg, your choice) or, son of Aphrodite and Ares (thus making him a run of the mill third generation Olympian).

So Eros is out. Now we have 13.

But where is Athena? Springing fully formed (and in full battle armor no less!) from papa Zeus’ head will surely qualify anyone as a member of the dodekatheon. (As well as the cause of one of the worst headaches… ever.)

Now we are back to 14. Not good.

Turns out that Hades doesn’t count even though he is a brother of Zeus. Lives in the underworld all the time, doesn’t get out much. Not Olympian material.

So why is Poseidon counted? Also brother of Zeus, stays at/in sea most of the time. Why is he let in?

I guess he visits more often than Hades who, fair to say, had to keep a tight track of all the dead. Didn’t want to let loose a Zombie Apocalypse.

Same goes for Hephaestus who hung out under volcanoes. Maybe he stayed at Mount Olympus for an extended time while his home under Santorini had to be renovated after that big party back in 1628 BCE?

Down to 13 again. Who’s the extra?

Turns out Hestia gave up her seat for for Dionysus, thus there were only 12 at any given time.

Well. The exact set of the twelve is fuzzy, even back when they still counted down every New Year, so your cartoon is probably about as good as it gets.

However, I strongly object to Dionysus ∩ Blessing ⇒ Karaoke Skills. Karaoke belongs down in the house of Tartarus, never to be let out.

As Dionysus was the god of the epiphany and the theatrical, I personally would select that brief moment early in the morning at the end of a long party, when you are kicking back and solving the Worlds problems with a few good friends.

That brief moment just before the hangover kicks in.

16. Bro. AJK says:

Euthanasia as blessing? I’d concur with “peaceful death” but not quite euthanasia.

17. I am Jack's username says:

Rather than jetlag, I’d think Hermes ∩ wrath = anthropogenic climate change.

18. tushar says:

jessica, you are my gods damn hero.

19. Bridget says:

Brilliant, yet again, my dear Jessica. You never cease to amaze me!

20. Kurt says:

There really needs to be a print of this. I’d buy one.

21. streetpc says:

Shouldn’t Zeus’ blessing be “Double rainbows” ?

22. David says:

Are you thinking of making a T-shirt? I’ll buy one!

I’ll take the apollonian toddlers cum kazoos over any rap “artist,” any day. At least the kiddos don’t drive around with sub-woofers announcing their complete lack of taste.