See where you’re coming from.

This entry was posted in family, perception. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to See where you’re coming from.

1. Diogo says:

Saturday update?

Btw, nice graph, looks like I’m nostalgic.

2. justmike says:

oh, man… that’s oddly sad.

you never fail to intrigue, ms hagy.

3. April says:

What about people who, like me, came back? :)

4. LAP says:

I’m all the way to the left on that diagram. Not a smidgen of nostalgia or pride.

5. fireflight says:

Deep.

6. Matt says:

This reminds me of: parisvsnyc.blogspot.com But funnier and more relevant.

7. WaterMaine says:

Ah, but where are we going to? Do you know, where we’re going to….la laa la da da dee dohhhh dohh doh….

8. geewhy says:

As an expatriate of Flint, Michigan this makes a lot of sense to me. To complicate things, add a few more circles and intersections:
    1. People who hated the place while they were there but have grown to love it once they’re gone.
    2. People who criticize they place they left around locals, but defend it around outsiders.
    3. People who wonder why their life isn’t better after leaving.
    4. People who regret not leaving.

9. Claud says:

When first I saw this, I thought yes, exactly. But then I thought of the folks I know who stayed not just in the region where I grew up, but the week town itself. Many of them, many, do not have that defensiveness. They chose to stay, or perhaps had the decision thrust on them by outside forces, but where I am from, against the backdrop of a particular dominant religious sect, you make due, you make your peace, you get up and live your life.

So while I agree in principle, in experience I see another possibility for those who stayed: acceptance.