Chicken : Egg :: Crime : Teacher cuts

This entry was posted in school. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Chicken : Egg :: Crime : Teacher cuts

1. I wish high poverty didn’t equate to low education.

2. Anonymous says:

Positive feedbacks suck

3. Alex says:

My university still hasn’t been paid by the state yet… professors on furlough and a bump in tuition.

While I see your point, I believe poorer students /tend/ to be less ambitious, wanting instant gratification. I’m from a lower class family, so back in high school I noticed my neighboring classmates’ habits of not studying. They were more interested in impressing each other with how cool they were, while the more middle class students had drive and purpose. An HS diploma is free; I’ll never understand why anyone would opt out of one.

4. kiwano says:

you omitted the point in the top right corner marked “grad students”

5. Pingback: The Children Are Our Future at The Fry Side

6. Charles says:

All of your drawings are wonderful, but this is brilliant and poignant at the same time. Very powerful…thanks for this one.

7. tomas says:

“An HS diploma is free; I’ll never understand why anyone would opt out of one.”

well, one reason could be that the little village in west india where you (apparently don’t) live doesn’t have a high school. or an elementary school, for that matter. poverty (and education, i guess) will always be relative, and if you compare low-ambition hs students in the us, they’re probably somewhere in the middle of that curve. if not closer to the “education” end…

“you omitted the point in the top right corner marked ‘grad students'”

haha, brilliant! =)

8. Mark says:

“While I see your point, I believe poorer students /tend/ to be less ambitious, wanting instant gratification.”

And children /tend/ to absorb their environment, wondrous creatures that they are. When you’re brought up in a place where you and yours have been systematically shat on for generations, and the only reliable way to make your way out of the hole is to be wildly talented at something to the extent that the dominant culture embraces you as a novelty, because hard work alone has always been met with prejudice both perosnal and structural, and someone is there to tell you you’ll never be THAT good or THAT lucky, and you’ve got all the personal discipline of the average 15-17 year old to begin with…what then? It’s easy to write off the toothless when you’ve never been kicked in the mouth.(/end rant)

9. Ellan Drude says:

It is nice to see you make postings on this topic, I should bookmark this web site. Just keep up the good work.

10. john_malkovich says:

seems to me that both these graphics describe the exact same function.

11. JackRandom says:

They describe the relationship of two functions. In the first, poverty is dependent on education so the more education you have the less poverty you have (or will have), and in the second education is dependent on poverty meaning if you have poverty you will have less education. If you combined the two you’d have a very sad function indeed that describes poverty and education over time, taking into account previous poverty and education.