Who’s in your office?

This entry was posted in work. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Who’s in your office?

1. bork says:

This venn diagram would be easier to interpret if there weren’t circles around each of the labels. Circles should be used to indicate a set, not to highlight a label.

2. bork says:

Also, C can be a nightmare, too: The person who doesn’t know what they’re doing but volunteers to teach others.

[Shudder]

3. Sg3000 says:

hey! bork is an “A’

4. Eh…I beg to differ with that first comment. It wouldn’t make any sense without the circles.

5. Risa says:

The circles ARE actually parts of the Venn Diagram … you know, a subset of “good with ideas” is the group “prima donnas”.

• Leigh says:

True example: A favored staff in my department is coddled & protected by her direct supervisor and, therefore, coddled (or ignored) by all the other managers. Therefore, at all staff meetings she is the main person doing most of the talking most of the time, which wastes a lot of time & annoys a lot of people. But what can you do with a prima donna? She’s special & she knows it.

6. agnesmcgee says:

I agree with both bork and Viewtiful_justin: Circles do indicate a set, but the circles around A and C confuse that definition in this diagram. I’d say you need the circle around D to define it as a set, and none around the others. Or, how ’bout squares around all four labels?

Aaand, my lunch hour is now over. Well-spent time. I’ll be watching Indexed for a diagram describing the ratio between the time spent on non-work-related activities during the work day (such as commenting on entertaining blog posts) and the triviality of those activities.

7. Brent says:

D = downsized 8 months ago due to “down economy”

8. Jaap says:

Brent: actually, C was downsized because D was able to put the blame on him.

9. MS says:

Interesting link makes it look like the Cs edge out the As

10. tomas says:

maybe this would be better represented in a graph, with “good with people” on one axis, “good with ideas” on another, and A, B, C and D placed out in the four “corners” of the graph…?

11. gregcole220 says:

I hate that I immediately tried to rationalize my B status, but am comforted that I am not trying to correct a humorous venn diagram like our A friends.

12. yoho7410 says:

A = Oscar Martinez
    B = Jim Halpert
    C = Michael Scott
    D = Dwight Schrute

13. David says:

This is more classically a quadrant diagram (the basic Gartner tool):

vertical scale is Good with People,
    the horiz. is Good with ideas; then the quadrants are:

A | B
    ————–
    D | C

14. Adrian Jones says:

So, according to bork and agnesmcgee, all those who are good with ideas are prima donnas?

Or, it’s exactly as it’s drawn with prima donnas being a *subset* of good with ideas.

15. Nora says:

Actually, if you draw another big circle intersecting the two others with D as a subset of it, your name for it would be ‘Knows the rules’.

16. Carl Gundel says:

Hi, your Here’s the deal link is broken in case you didn’t notice. I tried to send you an email about it, but I couldn’t find a contact link.

Great site otherwise. :-)

17. Kel says:

@Sg3000 – Bork does not understand subsets and thinks that *everybody* who is good with people is a pushover. He’s definitely a member of D.

18. Pingback: Pleasure and Pain » Recent Reads – 2/21/2010

19. Geoffrey Simms says:

Sorry that the standards of all your respective editorial style books aren’t being met, but have you considered that maybe this is a comic, and not a peer-reviewed journal?

20. Emma says:

Great diagram! Would definitely print and stick to the wall of my office if I could be sure that my co-workers had a sense of humour…

21. Oh how I love this. I’ve shared it with the non-D people in my life. Thanks, Jessica!

22. Pingback: Greg's Blog - principal (le?) learning » So which are you?

23. Monique says: