The Persistence of Memory.

This entry was posted in television. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to The Persistence of Memory.

1. lilpocketninja says:

It took me a while to get this one. Nice.

2. Ben E. says:

Wait, what? Genes hold less information than brains?

3. Simon Dufour says:

There should be an arrow pointing out of the diagram with “Internet” on it.

4. Marc C. says:

@Simon – I was going to suggest the same exact thing.

5. Tom says:

I still don’t get it.

6. VA says:

@Ben E: I think it is referring to the effectiveness of the different mechanisms that disseminate information

7. jmnf says:

good to have you back.

I like reading out of books better than screen reading.

9. katie says:

hooray for books!

10. Pingback: Another anniversary of my 29th birthday « Christa Allan

11. Spammer says:

David please refrain from spamming your social club’s fundraising activities on the comment sections of respectable blogs.

Clearly if by this metric,
    genes>brains>books,
    the key factor is authority, thus it would be
    genes>wikipedia>brains>books

since genes gain their information content by trial and error in a stochastic way,
    wikipedia gains it’s information from a number of different brains in a stochastic way and is thus incoherent,
    A single brain aggregates information somewhat coherently,
    and a Book is one of the most coherent forms of information output a single brain can achieve.

12. Laura says:

Love this one Jessica! I will use it in class teaching about knowledge management, and will add EPSS (electronic performance support systems – i.e. online help / internet search, pda search) to the far right, because unlike in a single book, you one FIND the information needed so much faster. p.s. great site. I often come here looking for pithy illustrations of key concepts and have posted a link to thisisindexed from my (otherwise lame) blog.

13. pakin says:

Coincidentally, just last night I watched the “Persistence of Memory” episode of Carl Sagan’s “Cosmos” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Personal_Voyage#Episode_11:_.22The_Persistence_of_Memory.22). Today’s Indexed pretty much sums up that particular show.

14. I think I basically get it, but I’m still not quite sure what the “People” axis is supposed to mean…

15. fireflight says:

I’m pretty sure the “People” axis represents the number of people effected by the “Information” axis, i.e. a set of genes effects one person (or a few, depending how you look at it); having (and using) brains can effect more people; books (literature) can effect many more.
    Just think of the effects that the writings of Newton or Shakespeare (cue collective groan from English lit students) have had on society, compared to their long-dead brains and long-forgotten genes.
    The jury is still out on the effects of the internet.

16. Sienna says:

love it :)

17. Bill Morish says:

Wonderful to finally see someone who can do a proper blogpost without spelling errors or lousy grammar.