Inflammatory!

This entry was posted in politics, pop culture. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Inflammatory!

1. iHunger says:

That one required reading twice. Now I’m lmao.

2. Devizes says:

Madame Bovary or Anna Karinina Anyone? This is hilarious!

3. simon says:

huh, this was enlightening as for the feminist bra burning, i did not know it was a myth. but i dont get the allergy reference…help?

4. Chaz says:

@simon: I think that’s referencing a “burning sensation” that would accompany wearing clothing that was washed in something one is allergic to.

And I, too, was unaware of the urban-legend status of the feminist slant. Very interesting.

5. Chris says:

Come on! Haven’t you heard feminists being referred to as “Bra-burners”?

6. Kristen says:

Well, they did intend to burn the “objects of female torture” (which included bras) at a protest, but because they were on a boardwalk the police wouldn’t allow them to start a fire due to fire hazard. :)

7. Natalie says:

I think that it is funny that the bra-burners forgot that originally the brassiere was a liberation for women, a step up from the corset when the country needed extra metal for the war.

8. Hermocrates says:

Well, they WANTED to. They just couldn’t get the permit.

9. Kagu says:

It was never the original intention to burn bras. It was the intention to burn make up and what not.

And as far as liberation from the corset goes- The bra was invented by a male fashion designer for his wife who (This is as close to a quote as I can remember) Wanted to free the shackled thighs, slender waist, and breasts. It was liberation but it was still oogling. (tho’ I’ll admit I rather like my brazier)

10. FTBC says:

I saw bras burned at a college in 1996. Two or three, in a protest by a dozen or so very radical feminists. They were of the “men are evil” variety who were completely out of touch with reality.

11. Pingback: Feminist Friday Quick Clicks, 9 « Cook & Hook

12. Steve says:

More for “Fact”:

Underwire dried in microwave. My college roommate tried that one.

13. FiatVeritas says:

You just finish reading “No More Miss America”?

14. Sabrina says:

@Chris & @Kristen I don’t think they couldn’t get the permit so they didn’t burn them…

“According to Susan Brownmiller, author of American Feminine, the famous 1968 demonstration in Atlantic Citty did not involve bra burning:

‘That’s a myth. It was the time of draft-card burning, and some smart headline writer decided to call it a ‘bra burning’ because it sounded insulting to the then-new women’s movement. We only threw a bra symbolically in a trash can.'”