Fritos are cheap.

This entry was posted in consumption, inequality. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Fritos are cheap.

1. rk says:

thanks and Mc D and their friends.

2. rk says:

I meant “Thanks to Mc D and their friends”

3. Adam says:

A=B, the only weight free of body issues?

4. todd says:

I thought back in teh old days that the rich were the fattest. Like in Victorian era. The poor were skinny because they couldn’t chow!

Oh, if I were a rich man…
    My wife would have a proper double chin…
    Yes, if I were a rich man!

6. Sally says:

Thoughts of “Oliver!” are running though my mind right now… :D

7. Corn is subsidized.

8. Strayhiker says:

I think I know where High fructose corn syrup fits in here…

9. Briana says:

Alternative title: Slothfulness has more than one repercussion.

10. pi3832 says:

“Alternative title: Slothfulness has more than one repercussion.”

Wow, aren’t you the sheltered bitch?

11. Chaz says:

@pi3832: What? How does that message convey a tone of having been “sheltered”? I see much more sloth amongst the poor and obese than I do amongst the wealthy at this point; in times past, the wealthy were renowned for their laziness, given that they could have their peons do whatever needed done in most cases.

This is a generalisation, of course, but the point is, I’m unsure where your spite and malice come from, unless of course that’s a personal attack on you as a slothful, obese, and non-wealthy individual?

12. onteria says:

The coordinates are backwards. This graph says that your wealth depends on your obesity. What everyone’s interpreting, and what I think the point was, is that obesity depends on wealth. Just an FYI

13. Briana says:

“Wow, aren’t you the sheltered bitch?”

Struck a nerve? :-)

14. Frank says:

I think Obesity should be the dependent variable and Wealth on the independent axis. Makes more sense that way. This says as much about Fritos™ as it does about time & money to go to fitness centers.

15. Jimmy says:

… at least I know why I used to be skinny and now… well… not so much….

16. Ralphy says:

@Chaz

Clearly your anecdotes represent statistically significant information that doesn’t, in any way, diminish the suffering of the over seven million working poor.

17. Chaz says:

@Ralphy:

Where did I say anything about the working poor? I don’t intend to, as you suggest, diminish their suffering; we’re in the comments of a humor blog here, not a forum full of self-important profundity regarding the nature of society.

18. fishboy says:

@Chaz: Ahh, I see the problem – you forget that this is the internet. A place where taking instant offense at imagined slights and flying off the handle at no prompting is considered de rigueur :)

Also important is taking responsibility for defending millions of people living on the poverty-line. Ralphy clearly is the spokesman that they’ve been clamouring for all these years.

19. Caitlin says:

People arn’t necessarily poor because they are lazy. It was a little harsh to suggest so.

20. Alibelle says:

And people aren’t fat because they’re lazy. Not all the time anyway, not even most of the time.

Rich people are usually skinny because they can afford constant working out or surgery, not because they work harder or are healthier.

21. ken says:

And the middle class are caught in a worm hole…filled with Lipitor (health care not standard in all worm holes).

22. Atsuko says:

mmmm…McD’s…I’m gonna go get one of their breakfasts…

23. Reminds me of a report that people on food stamp (i.e. poor) increase their weight: http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/555048?sc=mwhn (also described by Gary Taubes in Good Calories, Bad Calories). Poor people tend to eat cheap and nutrition-less food, which in turn causes obesity.