The future sounds like schizophrenia.

This entry was posted in faith. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to The future sounds like schizophrenia.

1. Yitzchok says:

Prophesy is a verb and is pronounced prophes(AI)

Prophecy is a noun and is pronounced prophes(EE)

So sorry to interrupt!

2. Geoff says:

Love this one! (So true too!)

3. Steve Nelson says:

Mix in astronomy and you also get the crazy people who believe the world ends in 2012 just because one of the Mayan calendars does.

4. Pingback: Indexed ยป The future sounds like schizophrenia. « Quasi.dot

5. John says:

@Steve Nelson

Only if you also mix in “people don’t know what they’re talking about.”

Nothing involving 2012 has ever said the world will end. The prophecies speak of a major paradigm shift. It could be some apocalyptic event, but that’s not the only possibility. It could be aliens show up, some World of Darkness style spiritual veil could fall, or we could discover the key to immortality, time travel, teleportation or anything else of equal significance.

Now, I’m not saying this makes the prophecies any more or less legitimate, just that this is one of those instances where common knowledge is wrong.

6. Isherwood says:

I love that this is categorized in “faith”. How appropriate.

7. FTBC says:

As a Christian who has had to deal with a lot of end-times fervor and pure nuttery in my time, I have come to a conclusion on Biblical prophecy: it exists not so that we can know the future, but to inform us of the utter futility of trying to know it. After 2000 years of people thinking the time is NOW, shouldn’t we assume that maybe the message is that we shouldn’t worry so much about WHEN it will be?

8. Rafi says:

This is the most insightful post to date.

9. Stripe says:

Does the Truth of the Words make time stand still?

Or is a stopped clock merely right twice a day?

Is that God in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

10. Steve Nelson says:

Good point, John, I read the other interpretations too. :) They’re just not as interesting as the people who’ve found yet another y2k-like threat…someone always has a new way to destroy the world (if it’s not nanotech it’s the LHC).

11. Chaz says:

The LHC already destroyed the world in 2012. We just haven’t realized it yet because of the contrails that the Chinese aliens have been spreading since they invented the Matrix during World War III — oh, that hasn’t happened yet? Sorry, I do get a little lost in time every now and again (pun may have been intended).

12. Chaz says:

Disclaimer: I tried to attach an HTML-style tag to my post above, but it was ignored by the comments box. To clarify, it’s sarcastic, since that never translates well in text …

13. Pam says:

Mismatch made an important point.

14. DavoPavo says:

@FTBC, i concur.

15. I personally feel its all a big cover up.