Physics & emotion.

This entry was posted in language, perception. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Physics & emotion.

1. DomPrez says:

d = doom
    s = sex
    t = teletubies

try thinking about it…. I DARE YOU!

2. Maggie says:

This gets dangerously close to “actual math.”

3. Bret says:

Yeah, I’ll go along with this.

4. t3knomanser says:

Your math fail depresses me.

If d=s(t), then dividing both sides by t would simply yield d/t = s(t)/t. Really, the initial terms should be d = s/t^p, where p represents the passage of time’s effect on t.

I’ll forgive you, this time.

5. BoB says:

While I ‘d agree that s(t) is problematic, t3 isn’t winning any awards.

The problem with s(t) is that it shows speed as a function of time. I understand that it is intended to be speed times time, but the parens are unnecessary.

d = s/t^p makes no sense, passage of time and time are the same thing

the real math, used in the physics, makes perfect sense

“How long ’till we get there?”
    “It’s 50 miles and we’re going 100 mph, we’ll be there in 30 minutes.”

6. Pingback: Secrets acting as a poison « Scattered pieces…

It was a big risk posting something like this.

8. David says:

I’m pretty sure the () were to put an implied multiplication, though i did read it as a function the first time too.

9. David says:

Some readings make more sense than others:

distance = speed * time
    distance = troubled caused * time
    pain = speed * time
    pain = troubled caused * time
    distance/time = speed
    distance/time = trouble caused
    pain/time = speed
    pain/time = trouble caused
    distance/speed = time
    distance/trouble caused = time
    pain/speed = time
    pain/trouble caused = time

10. Rafi says:

This is too “actual” mathematical for me to understand.

11. Rafi says:

Is it meant to be “pain over time” or “pain divided by time”?

12. middle school math teacher says:

oh I sooooo want to show this to my Algebra students!

Man, I wish scientist and mathematicians and engineers could all get together and decide on a standard set of variables. All I could think of when I read this was v=ds/dt and I couldn’t find the v in the comic. Enough procrastinating, back to my fluid mechanics so I don’t fail my test tomorrow.

14. minxette says:

this isnt about math or physics at all. its about pain making trouble that is sucking up time you can never retrieve.

15. foosion says:

d=s(t) is not the same as d=s*t, as noted above. Technical accuracy is important. See http://www.xkcd.com, for example.

16. Pingback: George du