Do you wonder?

This entry was posted in optimism. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Do you wonder?

1. HermanoBen says:

I’m desperated, I can’t imagine what to comment

2. Egogramme says:

If only it were true…

3. Egogramme' says:

I used to believe that too.

4. strayhiker says:

What about necessity?

desperation – nothing to blog about
    imagination – lots to blog about

6. Stripe says:

I guess I Wonder if I totally miss the point. To me Desperation fuels Imagination; necessity is the mother of invention. The more desperate the situation the greater the need for imaginative solutions. And Imagination is no guard against Desperation; Great ideas have lead good people to bad ends, again and again.

7. Dee Wilcox says:

I suppose it goes both ways. Creativity requires constraint… but desperation – real desperation – might kill the energy you need to be imaginative. When I feel creative, I feel either energetic or very “in my head” – when I feel down – or desperate – imagination is my way out.

8. hisllama says:

So that is how they come up with the really lame advertisements

9. Dave says:

Where is the “MacGyver Curve”? He seemed to have incredible imagination in very desperate situations.

10. Andre Molnar says:

I’m pretty sure that this one goes both ways.
    With blatant disregard for the intellectual property of this index card, I created this illustration:

Up to all of you to find a clever comment for the intersection of the two lines.

11. Hugo Iwata says:

I’m pretty sure that this one goes both ways. [2]

The second line better suits the situation when you are paranoid.

12. Jerry E. Stephens says:

Looks like an appropriate description of the recent presidential vote in Iran.

13. The line would be inverted if the title of this graph were “Don Draper.”

14. Cecilia says:

Hmmm… given my desperate financial situation since my lay-off, I’d say that as my desperation increases, so does my ability to come up with imaginative ways to put food on the table…

15. Ember says:

I agree that increased desperation prompts increased imagination, but I parsed this one as “once your imagination starts increasing, your desperation starts dropping”

But maybe that’s some kind of bell curve?

–Ember–

16. Anjali says:

Love it. And I agree – that’s the way it usually works, all considered, even though there is the odd occasion when desperation brings out the best in some people.

17. Quinn says:

I’m just glad that all of you kind, creative, intelligent people exist. This site, and this discussion, are a refreshing treat.

18. Pingback: Desperation and Imagination