Genes or grades. Or grades of genes. Debate away.

This entry was posted in school, snobs. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Genes or grades. Or grades of genes. Debate away.

1. James says:

I think the graph should be U shaped. Or maybe go from low (for dropouts) to higher (for C students), to low (for B students), to higher (for A students).

I forget who said it, but to paraphrase a famous quote, A students will someday become professors, while the B students will someday work for the C students…

2. Stephen says:

Or A = popularity : grades of jeans

3. I think the chart is perfect as is ~ believer in the A’s get more opportunities, and I’m stickin’ to it! :)

4. I was a C student and look at me! Bad example…

DB

5. Rian says:

I thought it was a given that SES is more important than raw ability when it comes to opportunities in life, outliers excepted?

I think socioeconomic can be being in the right place at the right time. (Or dumb luck)

7. kiwano says:

Having come from an upper-middle-class background, earned a PhD in math, and spent the past 15 months unemployed (with no definite end in sight), all I can say to this comic is “I wish”.

Note to the world: try not to graduate right before a global economic crisis; you can’t hide out in school anymore, have a pile of student debt, and have to compete with vastly more experienced recent-layoffs for any jobs that do pop up. It sucks.

8. bob says:

I think it’s worth pointing out that the oppurtunites gained/lost from socioeconomic status can pretty drastically affect academics…not sure how you’d graph that in this context though.

9. There is no correlation between grades and anything outside school (happiness, wealth, business success, etc). However, good high school grades DO correlate to good college grades.

10. Are we REALLY analyzing a made-up graph? WTF?

11. Pingback: bouncingboomergirlgeek: fyi & fwiw

Will T, apparently you have some graphs that self generate.

13. FTBC says:

Being a college dropout from a family that barely made middle class when I was finishing high school, I must strongly disagree with this. Opportunity is there for anyone with the necessary skills and determination to pursue it. I think it’s a cop-out to say that success requires family connections or a college degree; you’re making excuses for the millions of people who don’t have access to these.

I made something of myself, and I see more opportunity every day even in the midst of a serious recession.

14. Rod says:

When you think about it, the expectations of a recent college grad are bound to be too high. Everybody should start working life with a mop in their hands. The way up from there is easy, once your ego is under control.

15. Catch says:

Start working this mopping job right out of college, with thousands and thousands of dollars in school loans that the high school dropout who’s equally qualified for the same job doesn’t have to worry about… Yeah, I’ll get right on that.

16. Rabs says:

grenades?

17. Remus says:

Have you guys read “Outliers” by Malcolm Gladwell?

This post reminds me of the book, which tends to disagree with the “academic” trend in this post. As an example, an interesting study mentioned in the book took a look at students with the highest IQs in the US (arguably, these students are in really high class standing based on academics) and how the chance of success in their careers was as good as any other student.