Enjoy this ironic holiday.

This entry was posted in optimism, parties. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Enjoy this ironic holiday.

2. Fuiru says:

Aw, tis like a shamrock, t’be shure!

3. JJ says:

I guess the lucky part is surviving after all that.

4. Hm. Interesting. I never thought about that.

5. deWeb says:

your observations are incredible.

6. Pingback: deweberdesign.com » happy st. patty’s day

7. Nia says:

Clan warfare? Is that the new name of colonialism?

I’m with JJ, the lusk is in the fact that the Irish managed to survive the English occupation.

8. Shelly says:

This one is great! Couldn’t resist
    posting it over at maybethinking.com

9. Pingback: Luck o’ the Irish - eclecticism

10. We should all be so fortunate!

DB

11. John Muir says:

Clans = aeons of warfare. We had them with just the same effect here in Scotland too. It’s the whole purpose of a warlord society. Compare with Africa.

The terrorism though, that was mostly England’s fault! (With varying support from up here too.)

Happy St. Paddy’s everyone! At last it’s over.

12. Yes I'm Jewish says:

“It’s amazing what some people consider lucky. And what would their life be with OUT their Irish luck?”

They’d be Jewish.

13. Brittney says:

Interestingly enough I have been thinking about this very problem this St. Pat’s day. I don’t think I’d thought of it before but this morning at breakfast it hit me: Irish Luck?! What kind of sick irony is that. ;)

14. Pingback: The Luck O’ the Irony: « This is probably an interesting blog (but it might not be…)

15. Pingback: Happy St. Paddy’s Day « pogoism

16. kthxbye says:

I was going to say something about ‘the luck of the Jews’ but I see that @Yes I’m Jewish beat me to it.

17. Jack says:

Oh danny bhoy.
    ^YouTube it^
    He says the same thing.
    Only on a stage, not a notecard.
    This is a good point, though. It’s hilarious when you really think on it

18. Josh says:

If you had included the economic meltdown this would have made a nice 4-leaf clover.

19. Bridgett says:

Nicely shaped, as was stated already. Well done.

20. Matt says:

What would one be without the luck? Maybe we should add Polish to that as well.

21. Pingback: Happy St. Patty’s Day! « Dinosaurs Sexing Chairs

22. Pingback: Happy St. Patrick’s Day? « Chalkdust101

23. cmrtroi says:

‘Insane Irish!’ from Braveheart may be appropos here. The fact that only clan warfare existed at that time is double-ironic.(I’m a serious Mel Gibson fan, but Stephen is my favorite character by far.)

Choosing to claim lucky status in the face of all these ‘troubles’ is a trait that should be our main import from Ireland; not green beer or corned beef and cabbage (I know: that’s as American as Fortune Cookies).

Oh, and widespread U.S. anti-Irish immigration sentiment/discrimination would be a great stem. (Smaller than the other catagories because only a subset of Irish people experienced it; not because it was less of a hardship.)

24. Dan says:

Very very good :)

I’ve lived in Ireland all my life and I’ve never once used or heard anyone use the phrase “Luck of the Irish”. We don’t say or even think it, bit like “top o’ tha marnin”. Or going on holiday and finding the gun-totting redneck stereotype absent from Massachusetts. I guess every nation has its cultural crosses to bear?

25. Henke says:

Should have been a four-leaf clover. The missing one is of course Britain.

26. Kevin says:

Good one! :)

Though I’d suggest one amendment. Replace clan warfare with 800 years of English oppression and it’d be more accurate.

27. Lynn says:

the luck lies in living in one of the most beautiful places on Earth (at least, out in the west of Eire, and almost anywhere along the coast). I wanna go baaaaack!

28. Brian says:

You should have added this:
    -or-
    You wonder why we drink and fight so much.

29. Derek says:

Just making sure everyone is aware that the term came about to deride irish people here in the states. Also once a ton of irish people became rich/successful it was a way of saying “well of course he’s rich, it’s the luck of the irish.” so to say that their success was merely luck.

30. Brian says:

I think what that diagram really shows is not Irish luck, but Irish optimism! My family is Irish (mother born in Dublin), and one consistency I see in them is that in spite of a slightly melancholy, fatalistic outlook and a dark sense of humor, they are oddly optimistic.

31. Brian O says:

^— I just noticed that there is another Brian in here already. I have only posted two messages: this one, and the one immediately preceding. I’ll change my nickname to “Brian O” here.

32. Pingback: Those Irish sure are lucky « From My Heart, Out Of My Mind

33. KC Brady says:

Cute, but, not historically accurate. The clan warfare ended in the middle ages, the potato famine was a gift from the English (so to speak) in the middle of the 19th century, and the “terrorism” was a response to the English, in one small corner of the country.

The real luck of the Irish is in surviving the weather.

34. Pingback: Pages tagged "holiday"

35. Dannyh says:

Stick to doing actual math.

36. Pingback: Irony | A Quick Remark