Thanks for that.

This entry was posted in communication, experience. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Thanks for that.

1. Steve says:

It’s true.

Also, pennies by the cash register, or the person walking in front of you holding a door . . .

2. Alex Saint says:

It’s nice when people compliment you even if they don’t know you. It always brings a smile to their faces when you say, “I love your sweater/earrings/boots/necklace/shirt/pants/pet…” And then if they’re reading a book you happen to like… :D

3. Matt says:

To be the first cynic on your insightful site: Humanity’s goin down the tubes, but I try to smile at strangers anyway.

4. LittleWit says:

I love this sentiment. :)

5. José says:

This indexed makes me sad, because, I’m kind of cheerful person and I smile a lot even to strangers… and almost no one that I don’t know smiles… guess I’m kind of the only hope arround here.

6. Fuiru says:

You can also replace “hope for humanity” with “length of time I go without realising my flies are undone”.

Sad but true.

7. doublebanker says:

Definitely not noticing many smiles from strangers now…unless I’m in a small town. It’s like a disease there!

Check out my women driver gif post here

Daily Gif Blog here

8. Wil says:

So good! Thank you. 1/20/2009 set a new high for me personally, as I was in airports all day and smiles everywhere.

9. Nadia says:

That’s quite sweet. I think it’s even more poignant when you get a smile during an early morning or late evening commute, when everyone is stone-faced and avoiding eye contact.

10. Dan Miller says:

For an empirical demonstration, check out this project from Improv Everywhere.

11. Pingback: *indigoidian.de* » Indexed…

12. Rui says:

… are you single? Please say yes.

13. dnm says:

I’ve always wondered if I’ve made some women’s days, or if I’m just some weird creepy guy to them.

If I see a particularly pretty woman, I have no problem stopping her, saying, “hi, i’m not trying to pick you up or anything; I’m happily married. I just thought you should know you’re absolutely beautiful. have a nice day!” and then walk away.

14. Dharmamama says:

I love to smile at strangers – and I wear a “free hugs” patch, too! It lightens people’s moods, that’s for sure.

15. Wabasso says:

OK, BUT! What if a smile is misconstrued as me being “some weird creepy guy” checking them out? I swear this is my main deterrent.

(in other news: I should smile at people more randomly, not just at beautiful women)

16. Chris says:

I try to smile at lots of random people on my daily commute. After I catch their eye, most will hurriedly look away with what looks like fear.

But on the rare occasion when someone smiles back, it puts a spring in my step and makes me want to smile at more people!

I also enjoy it when things go wrong, like the train stops etc. Not because I’m evil but because the unusual event breaks people’s masks – they smile at strangers and roll their eyes, maybe even talk! Ha! Success.

17. Pingback: Custom Vinyl Garden Sheds, Lancaster PA | Garden Storage Sheds Blog

18. CrossRoads says:

Great analysis, fully agree:)

19. Dharmamama says:

@ Wabasso – Why does it matter what a stranger thinks of you? And be honest! *Are you* checking them out? (We say more with our energy and intentions than we do with our words!) If you really are just offering a smile to be kind & lighten the day, then just do it! Let go of what others might think; most people will get what you mean!

20. modchen says:

she who smiles first –wins.

and *that’s* the truth.

21. Pingback: The Writing on the Wall (Feb 9 - 13:44 to 22:05) — Transplanted

22. Roie M says:

+1 to the comic and to everyone out there who’s nice to random strangers.

23. That is so true. I really enjoyed this one.

24. Pingback: Loganotron » Blog Archive » Smiles From Strangers

25. Shameka says:

Sometimes I feel like the only NYC resident who smiles @ people while I’m walking around…

26. j. says:

Do you have one that correlates smiles to unasked-for stalkerish behavior?

;P

27. Well, it’s nice to see I’m not the only person who smiles at people I don’t know.

28. icloud says:

It’s sad this kind of warmth easily alerts people these days… at least in my country.

I now have to ask to smile. How sad.

29. while walking down to office this morning, i saw a laborer fixing cobble stones on the footpath. he saw me coming, so gave way. i gave a smile and he smiled back. felt good.

30. T-T-T-Tia says:

I’d like to just start this off by saying that I love this website; my teacher often uses your graphs as examples. :)
    I recently came out of a stage where I felt sorry for myself all of the time, and I never thought I was going to be happy again, but I was at the store and a woman told me that she loved my hair and that I was very brave (my hair was bright pink) and she hoped that I would have a good day.
    It changed me, and now I smile at everyone and I hope I’m making a difference. It’s just something little that everyone knows how to do, so why aren’t more people doing it?

31. Pingback: Think about it « hi.im.kunal.ramchandani

32. I’d like to stick to this site with my twitter. How can i do that?