Goes well with government cheese.

This entry was posted in consumption, value. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Goes well with government cheese.

1. xGRS says:

I think s/squirrel/pigeon/ is more likely. They’re more abundant, there’s more meat on them and once cooked, they’re more likely to look and taste like a “chicken”. Heck, I pretty sure people DO eat pigeon. Time to go look for some recipes…

2. Henrique says:

I prefer chicken …

3. Spike says:

What does squirrel taste like?

4. Fen Ken says:

Tastes kind of like rabbit. A bit stronger flavour than chicken. Good eating on a squirrel, I have to say (if you can make it to mainland Europe, where there are unendangered reds, they taste even better).

Don’t shoot them with a shotgun, though – the ratio of shot to meat is a bit offputting…

5. I think everything goes well with government cheese

6. Bret says:

Squirrel tastes exactly like bald eagle. Sorta like spotted owl but without the aftertaste.

Who wants to eat a rat with a fuzzy tail? We just throw ‘em over the back fence for the crawfish to eat.

8. Krunk says:

Maybe I’m not getting something, but is eating squirrels the implied message here?

I was thinking with a large squirrel population, it’d steal food from the chickens, making their cost go up.

On the other hand, I can see it implied as squirrels killing off chickens or eating them, so the more squirrels their are, the higher the cost also.

I don’t really see how any of this goes back to eating squirrels or the taste of squirrels.

9. Catch says:

I don’t know where you live, with squirrels so large as to be able to kill chickens, but I’m pretty sure that’s not the joke she was going for.

10. Steven says:

I would think it would be the other way around. A high squirrel population would lead to lower prices of chicken as they would become the replacement for chicken. Although, I guess I can see how this works as well.

11. Steven W says:

Hey, Steven. Isn’t that what this graph is showing?

You said, a high squirrel population leads to lower prices of chicken, because people start to each the chicken instead. Well, that’s what the graph shows. Low price of chicken, and high squirrel population.

12. Steven W says:

Crap, that was a typo. How do you delete stuff on here?

I MEANT to say a high squirrel population leads to lower prices of chicken, because people start to eat the *squirrels* instead.

13. Ben says:

I like Squirrel best when it is pan-fried in butter. Just roll that sucker in some frying mix, add some pepper, and go to town. (…down by the river.)

14. Alan says:

BoingBoing mentioned this great video on how to make “squirrel melts” a while ago.

15. Pete says:

squirrel’s are the same as rats but with a better press kit.

16. Asok Kosa says:

…and a perm.

17. Gary says:

Here we go…the x-axis is the independent variable(price of chicken)…the y-axis is the dependent variable(squirrel population). As the price of Chicken increases, people switch to eating squirrel to offset the cost of staying fed, ergo, the squirrel population declines.

18. khrushchev says:

Ah, the fight between independent and dependent variables.

Since, traditionally, the independent variable is on the x axis, the price of chicken is independent of the squirrel population.

So, the intention, I assume was to say that as the price of chicken increases, people can no longer afford to pay for it so they eat squirrel instead, leading to a decrease in the squirrel population.

19. khrushchev says:

Oh, Gary beat me to the punch.
    Good work.

20. Jamie says:

My mom calls squirrels “tree rats”. I think they’re cute.

21. Papermaven says:

Squirrel is even better if you stew it with a little government pork — if you can get it. Here in East Tennessee, we rely on federal pork.

22. Jamie says:

Papermaven, I can’t tell if that’s a joke on pork-barrel spending or not.

23. Dan says:

xGRS: “Heck, I pretty sure people DO eat pigeon. Time to go look for some recipes…”

Yes, indeed they do. In my place of work, “Wood Pigeon” is on the starter menu, never fancied it myself.

24. tahrey says:

Squirrel, rabbit and pigeon were once quite … well, not sure about popular, but at least _common_ meat sources. Just as we have become a bit more affluent and possibly a bit snotty they’ve fallen out of favour.

Hence the implication that as the recession bites harder and the cost of said (perceived-)higher-class foodstuffs is seen to rise (even if that’s just holding a steady price in the face of falling income), we may revert to a broader menu.

Also: eating reds? Both a bad idea for biodiversity and a waste of time. Go for the greys – and their new, even larger and tougher/more habitat-destructive mutation, blacks. <<< not a hint of racism before the flame machine stirs into life. wiki for them.
    Much more meat on them, quite a bit easier to find and catch, won’t cause a furore amongst eco preservationists (greys are an official “pest” / vermin in many areas, whereas reds are protected), and are – at least in europe – a bit like rabbits in australia… an introduced species that outcompetes the native one(s) whilst spreading diseases it is itself immune to and ripping up the ecosystem.

Odd thing: In the UK there’s only one guy who’s been employed to try and get the grey population down by traditional trap-and-kill means rather than the more widespread effort of making things more amenable for reds (a tall order when doing so also makes it even nicer for greys, provides a conduit for them into red areas, and does absolutely nothing about the diseases they carry). He had a bit of an uphill struggle on his hands with a couple million to try and get rid of with nothing but a few traps, a rifle and a battered old minivan, and now the meagre funding’s been cut entirely… So get out there and start eating them instead!

25. TeratoMarty says:

Squirrel and gummint surplus yella cheez- laugh all you want, but you just described my childhood. And yes, the squirrel population does vary inversely with the cost of chicken.