When housemates go bad.

This entry was posted in friends, patience. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to When housemates go bad.

1. Ramesh says:

Jessica — I’m sure you get this more often than you like but its the first time I’m writing in — so here goes :

I LOVE YOUR WORK — WILL YOU MARRY ME ??

2. Terry says:

True that, which is why I live alone…

But umm, not to be a stickler, but dishes should probably be on the x axis as that is the independent variable…passive aggression doesn’t lead to dishes “mouldering”, but the other way around…unless there’s a joke here I fail to get

3. qka says:

Reminds me of my college housemates back in the 80’s. My solution was what I called “Supply Side Dishwashing”. This was during the Reagan era, after all.

I was as guilty as the others for leaving dishes in the sink, and to deal with that problem we had a lot of dishes in the house. Unlike my housemates, I wanted to do my part. So before washing dishes, I would go through the cabinets and drawers and find out what was still available clean. Then I would wash all of the dirties of only those items. E.g., if there were still clean bowls, I would wash all the dirty bowls. If there were no clean glasses, i would NOT wash glasses.

My rationale was that it would force my housemates to wash something so that they could then use it.

Looking back, yeah, I guess it was passive-aggressive.

4. Pat says:

Sooo true…and the passive aggression should definitely by the X-Axis. Passive aggressive roommates (I’m guilty on occasion) will leave dishes in the sink to “wait the other one out” and as a result they become moldy. I.e. a former roommate of mine left a huge set of dishes he used for a party in the sink and took off for christmas break…I packed them up and put them in his bedroom…

5. Matt says:

That is the most original FIRST post I have ever seen…

6. DannyDeranged says:

Terry – Stop automatically stereotyping dependent axes. I don’t tolerate axisism, and I hope one day that the rest of the world can learn to appreciate unique dependent axes for what they are.

7. LittleBobbyTables says:

Fits all of my previous 3 roommate experiences to a T.

8. Jeane says:

Ha ha. I had a roommate that once left a pot of mac’n’cheese on the counter for three days. It was getting moldy. I put the pot on her pillow while she was out. When I came back after class she’d cleaned the entire kitchen spotless. I guess I’m pretty passive-aggressive.

9. Chelsea says:

I’ve been on both sides of this.

Amen, I say. Amen.

10. I thought it was quite clever putting ‘passive aggression’ on the x-axis. And on the flip-side, you could put “tolerance” (or “apathy”) on the x-axis as well. That would described my house.

11. Kje says:

Not true. Our dishes are generally washed up every evening.

12. Bret says:

So that’s what my wife is up to, eh? Well, I’m on to her little scheme now. TWO can play at that game.

13. Vaness says:

The exchnge between Terry and DannyDeranged might be the best comment exchange ever. Just to let you know the geeks who read you Jessica. On a side note, if I weren’t married I might be proposing to DannyDeranged.
    Wonderful graph, as always!

14. Mel says:

Wow, that brings back memories of the Great Dirty Dish Wars of 1998.

How about “you put the toaster back the wrong way. The handle is supposed to be on the left side”.

16. Dharmamama says:

But I live alone, and I have a sink full of dirty dishes… guess I’m being passively aggressive to myself.

AND it’s probably also why I’m alone.

17. Jamie says:

Lol. This is exactly what’s going on in my apartment, as we speak!

18. maximo says:

passive aggression has a limit. it is not a continous function.

19. fjaradvax says:

Terry, Pat etc: I beg to differ – passive aggression and unwashed dishes are surely co-dependent (people are less considerate of surly housemates), although non-washing-up *is* probably causally dominant.

20. Pingback: Weekly Links « The Brannan Blog

21. This doesn’t typically happen with spouses because we can use sex as a weapon.

22. Work at home mom says:

HAH! Sexlessness and dirty dishes is a good combo. Apparently the above commenter has a better than average spouse.

And Maximo–tell that to my husband!

23. Tina says:

Definitely don’t exclude the “housemates” who have a marriage certificate!

24. cbb says:

If I post this up next to the sink will I take the passive-aggressiveness to a new level?

25. JJ says:

“passive aggression has a limit.”

You obviously don’t know my mom!

26. Minos says:

I’ve long said that a dishwasher is essential to harmonious roommate relations.

27. CarylCake says:

Oh wow, I’ve been there before. Why are your friends so much less likely to complain to your face when you live together..?

28. Pingback: Remembering the Baylor House Days « Mere Sawilowsky