People listen to the loudest noise.

This entry was posted in expectations, work. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to People listen to the loudest noise.

1. Bret says:

If a TV Evangelist preaches in the forest and nobody is around to hear him,… no wait, I already know the answer to this one.

2. DC in DC says:

Pretty sure she means “Evangelist” in the “enthusiastic advocate” sense …

3. blah says:

the title alone does it for me …

4. Pingback: Mercurial » What is your role?

5. Guy Kawasaki says:

This would be more accurate if you changed “experts” to “believers.” You don’t need to be an expert to be an evangelist. You just need to be an extroverted believer.

6. Pam Buda says:

To Guy’s point I would add the evangelistic extrovert needs to be a good interpreter/communicator of their beliefs to the masses. There’s that little something extra they add besides pure enthusiasm.

7. kevin says:

i would argue that B and C should be transposed. ever heard pat robertson pontificate on health matters?

8. I think he hits the nail on the head with this one. The extroverts with very little experience end up costing you the most in the long run.

9. You don’t really have to be an extrovert but you do have to be able to fake it.

10. Agreeing with Guy … evangelists are believers, but not necessarily experts.

Great concept and great title!

11. Scott says:

So… pretty much Evangelists are cleavage?

12. Ramona_W says:

I think you have to reach “Expert” level in the ranks of believers in order to be an effective evangelist especially in the area of religion. How much confidence will you have if you ask a question and the evangelist says, “Let me check on that and get back to you”? Even the man at the Fair evangelizing on behalf of Ginsu knives has to be considered an expert to promote his cause.

13. Be loud.

Fortune favors the bold, laughs at the foolish, scoffs at the skeptics, ignores the timid, and often breaks these rules all together !

14. Do they listen or do they hear?

15. I put “Technology Evangelist” on my business card and now Swiss people think I’m a religious nut!
    I guess it doesn’t translate the same way everywhere.

I’m an enthusiastic believer in all things tech, just a geek in nerds clothing or visa versa. I’m still learning every day so by no means an expert but that is my aspiration.

Is any of this making sense to anyone?

16. Bert DuMars says:

Evangelists need to be great actors. I do not think you can be one without this skill in your toolbag. Expertise is important, but believing and believability are critical.

Not sure I agree that expensive consultants are just extroverts. Some introverts with superior expertise are in high demand and are expensive.

17. Rick Fisk says:

People are distracted by the loudest noise. They can’t help but “listen” to loud noises for a short period of time. But there really is no listening required. Jolting them is easy. Keeping their attention is hard because there are so many people making “loud noises.”

18. iratecat says:

dear scott:
    you win.

All that’s been commented may be true but the question still remains, have you sent your money in yet?

20. Tina says:

The problem is, anyone can call themselves an evangelist. It takes courage and humility to admit one doesn’t know the answer to something, and that person has my respect because they are more interested in truth than the sound of their own voice.

21. Keppi says:

I think DC is write – but I still don’t get it!

22. Pingback: The Bill Murray Effect. | i tell stories

23. Pingback: James.Random() : What is an Evangelist?

24. Pingback: Is This Thing On? : Too Cool to Pass Up: Where Evangelists Fall Into The Grand Scheme of Things

25. Pingback: SQL Server and Cloud Links for the Week | Brent Ozar - SQL Server DBA

26. Jyothirmayee says:

Reminds me of Tipping Point: Connectors (extroverts), Mavens (experts) and the good Salesmen (Evangelists)

27. Pingback: What is an Evangelist? | James.Random()