A crowd at a protest is big news.

This entry was posted in consumption, perception. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to A crowd at a protest is big news.

1. Homer says:

mmm… doughnuts

2. TiredLitMama says:

This is my favorite one yet. This is exactly why I broke up with my last girlfriend– too much self-opiating.

3. Denise says:

You forgot one circle — completely contained within D, and containing A, marked “religion”

4. Kit Burns says:

Actually a crowd at a protest would not make the news. Not anymore. I found this out when I went to DC for the September 15th 2007 march against the war. There were about 35,000 or more (probably 50 – 60,000) at the March. The New York Times (with three stenographers) report that that there were “several thousand people”. To me that meand about 2 to 4 thousand. We have been disappeared in the Corporate controlled Media. The NYT is no longer the “Paper of Record”. It serves its corporate, conservative interests faithfully. Kit

5. Jonathan says:

To Kit: What? Start your own blog.

Nice graph.

6. motojane says:

Television is the true opiate of the masses. (I don’t personally see the appeal. However, I also wouldn’t turn down a Krispy Kreme Bavarian right now. To each their own.)

Interesting. An opiated donut.

8. Mandaliet says:

I was going to say what Kit said but without the personal experience. It’s not just our selfish desire for mental painkiller that keeps us down.

9. Hank says:

ye forgets the greatest legal opiate of them all: browsing random yet “magnetic” websites such as this …

10. Fred says:

Denise – You make a good point. As a refinement, I think Religion (E) would not only be completely in D and containing A but slightly overlapping B (committees) and C (coffee/social hour).

11. tina says:

Opiated donuts? No, no, no. Opiated bagels!

12. Ryan says:

To Kit:

What?

The NYT is so left-of-center, the line looks like a dot.

However, I’ll concede the point that, if all those numbers are accurate (if apocryphal), they assuredly dropped the ball.

To Ms. Hagy:

Excellent diagram, but I just don’t get the reference.

13. Holly says:

Also things that make life worth living. If we’re not fighting for the freedom to enjoy our lives in whatever way we please–not just limited to mountain climbing and frolicking in the fields–what are we fighting for?

The Man didn’t give us sitcoms, we gave ourselves sitcoms because we like them. And that’s okay.

14. Si says:

There’s a protest somewhere where opiates are legal yet people are still watching crap on TV and stuffing their faces with doughnuts??