Get out!

This entry was posted in communication, consumption, work. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Get out!

1. Anthony says:

I’ll take the melancholy in exchange for not having to listen to the blather of my co-workers around the cafeteria lunch table.

Right Anthony. The chart is a girl chart. On a guy chart the line would be turned 90 degrees. (most of the time)

3. David says:

This chart is gender-neutral. I think it works for both men and women in jobs that are going nowhere. Getting out for an hour at lunch is my sanity check in a day.

Well chronicled!

4. Pedro says:

For guys, it depends on the weather. When it’s nice out, and you drive a convertible or like to play golf, eating lunch at your desk can be a real pain…

5. bev barnett says:

The line slopes faster when you’ve got a great view out your window!

6. Frank says:

You could replace melancholy with Number of times your boss says “I need this NOW”

7. Fuiru says:

Oh wow, that makes total sense. I’m about three quarters of the way along that line right now. Hmm, I need to get out of the office more.

8. mike says:

Totally agree! If I don’t leave the office for lunch I’m cranky. Luckily I live 3 miles from work so I can go home, make lunch, and watch the Daily Show!

9. Melissa says:

It’s like you were spying on me at work today. Creepy.

10. RyMo says:

Appropriately enough, I read this while eating lunch at my desk.

11. Anthony says:

Me too, RyMo. In my perfect world I’d have a spot like Robert Duvall has in “A Civil Action” for my lunch breaks.

As it is, the best I can do is turn off my phone and sit quietly.

12. Incredulous says:

I think it’s sad that Anthony didn’t even think of going *outside his building* for lunch, like it’s not a possibility. What – they got ya trapped in there? Seriously, get out. Beyond your desk, beyond the cafeteria.

13. Thom says:

Stepping away from one’s own personal state of mind for a minute: this chart also works for colleagues. *My* melancholy definitely increases along with the number of my colleagues who decide to eat at their desks: the smell of food (it’s irrelevant whether I like it or not), the clink of cutlery on plates, the noise of eating. Distracting and depressing.

(Yes, there are workplaces where there is nowhere else to go to eat, even in fine weather – I’ve worked in a place like that – but they are definitely in the minority.)

14. Drew says:

I used to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.. it was either at my desk or in the industrial-type parking lot. Changed to a downtown job 3 years ago and vowed never to eat at my desk again. Even if it’s a food court, it’s so much better, nicer scenery :)

15. You mean there’s an option to eating at my desk? Who knew?

16. Audrey says:

This should be a cycle. Melancholy leads to eating lunch at your desk leads to melancholy leads to eating lunch at your desk.

17. Pingback: heylownine.com » Blog Archive » Indexed says “Get out!”

18. David says:

It has made a HUGE difference–at least for me–whether my desk has been in an open or cubicled area, in a “private” office with a door but with an inside glass wall allowing me no privacy, or in a real office in which I could close the door and be shut off from the world for while I ate lunch.

19. Nicole says:

Believe me, I’d so love to get out. My job requires someone to be warming the chair at all times. It’s usually me. And I usually wind up dropping my spoon in my soup when the phone rings.

20. Bret says:

Okay, where did you hide the camera? Leave my desk alone.

21. Wiley says:

This is pretty much my life at work these days.

22. AV Guy says:

What is this “lunch” of which you speak??

23. Work at home mom says:

What is this “desk” you speak of?

24. marcus says:

really sad if you do this whilst working from home

25. Pingback: Midtown Lunch: Finding Lunch in New York City’s Midtown Manhattan » Another Reason Not to Eat Lunch at Your Desk

26. LUNCH says:

Yes! This graph sums up our philosophy and website perfectly!

27. Pingback: GFMorris.com » links for 2008-10-30

28. Odysseus says:

This has been tragically true of my life lately… :S

29. Colin says:

That… that is crazy true.