All else being equal (sure, right).

This entry was posted in expectations, men, stress, women. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to All else being equal (sure, right).

1. HapKiDo says:

I dunno. I’m getting grays & I don’t notice any more respect. Must not be that smooth a curve (on either side).
    I suppose at least most women get to keep their hair while most men are confused for bowling balls later in life.

2. halios says:

really?… really?

3. j says:

Really.

This one is awesome, Jessica.

4. Tale says:

what when no hair at all?

5. thoughts of a blank mind says:

nice one!!! and a good question by tale!!! do include that in the graph :P

6. LunarWorld says:

As a member of group B, I think that the starting point of our curve should be much closer to the starting point of group A’s curve. And I do think the “no hairs” should get their own curve. ;)

7. Nancy says:

_Way_ too true.

8. Jess says:

Sad but true. Try going gray at 25 and being female.

9. Bruno Cabral says:

What means the meeting point of the curves?

10. Nurbek says:

I was about to say that younger women do not get that much more respect than younger men as your curves suggest, but then I looked at the Jessica Alba pic on my desktop and decided not to. Yet, is sexual obsession a gesture of respect?

11. Anonymous says:

Good!
    It’s true.

12. Gitai says:

Don’t I know it. I’m 28, an insurance agent, and need more respect. I’ve actually thought about bleaching my temples white so older people will take me more seriously.

13. Llarion says:

I’ve read your entire blog this morning. You are VERY VERY good. You need to take these, visit Lulu.com, and make a book for yourself. People would buy it. Turnkey capitalism is about more than just t-shirts.

By the way, how does hair falling out plot on this curve?

14. but am I more respected? says:

Jess: so color it. I found my first greys as a teen, and 25 years later I was shocked at how white it was when I thought I might give up coloring. Unfortunately, I don’t have the bone structure/skin quality to carry off stunningly white hair, I just look older than I am.

15. Snow Fox says:

Um I don’t think so. I am not sure what kind of world you live in, but if that were true there would be no older women in our governmental system. Just because younger women get “respected” because of their looks means nothing of the real respect by real people. Let’s look beyond the world of celebrity here. On the men’s side though, I would have to agree though because I believe agism still runs rampant. The younger one is the less they tend to get respect, generally..

16. Rick D says:

I love an old lady with white / grey hair. Love that, and hate to see dye jobs so rampant with older women. Old Blonde ladys? Ew.

17. The Coach says:

To nurbek:

No, sexual obsession (i.e. Jessica Alba or Jessica Simpson or Jessica Hagy) is not a gesture of respect. I think, in fact, that’s that point of the graph. Aging women seem to lose respect along with their youthful looks despite the value of their personal successes.

18. Onika says:

I actually think the opposite is true, but it comes down to experience. From what I see, men lose their hair, their self esteem and their dignity while women come into their own and lose the need to look like bimbos. But the world’s a big place – interesting topic nevertheless.

19. Julie says:

Hand me a bottle – of dye.

20. Anonymous says:

my dad always said “white on top [hair] is age, white on bottom [beard] is wisdom..”

21. sandy says:

Never say dye :)

22. Sanscosm says:

I think there would be no argument if you just changed “gray hairs” to “fucking”.
    Pimps get mad respect and no one respects a hoe.

23. Anonymous says:

@nurbek–
    the x-axis is number of gray hairs, not time.

24. Sean says:

Actually, I don’t see it as true at all. Maybe it used to be true? Maybe it is something somebody said once which got accepted as truth without examination? Maybe in New York or in the corporate culture of Microsoft? But in my real life, my small town life, my let’s-go-eat-at-Denny’s life, I just don’t see it.

25. Pingback: Sehenswert | Worterfindung aus enzyglobe