As requested in the comments.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
This entry was posted in language, perception. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to As requested in the comments.

  1. Brad says:

    I think I get the concept, but what is -3/0/3 supposed to mean?

  2. Anonymous says:

    In the normal distribution, you have about a 68% chance of being within 1 s.d. of the mean, 95% of being within 2, and 99.7% (I think) of being within 3. The standard normal distribution has mean 0 and standard deviation 1. So a standard normal variate has 0.3% change of being more than 3 or less than -3.

  3. Anonymous says:

    Very cute! But the -3 to 3 also threw me off. Probabilities are expressed as being between 0 and 1 (with one being absolute certainty), so if you changed the threes to ones, it would be perfect.

  4. Mark says:

    No, “1″s would not make it perfect. With a normal distribution, you think in terms of standard deviations (like the person above stated).

  5. Michael says:

    Somewhere around zero, you should have a point labeled “Boy”… It could represent a boy’s chances asking a girl out for a date… or it could just represent FatBoy Slim. :)

  6. 5elementknitr says:

    I agree with Alex…. Bwuh?, indeed.

  7. Brad says:

    Ah yes… standard deviation. Too bad it’s been nearly 10 years since I studied statistics…

  8. Anonymous says:

    The closer you get to normal the better chance you have at anything? Someone help me!

  9. Cassie says:

    I really liked this one because it’s a less familiar statistical concept.

  10. VC says:

    I like the very small gap between Slim, and none.

  11. Anonymous says:

    Requests? Something about looking at waterfalls being less fun if you have the urge to go to the bathroom, which of course increases as you look at the waterfalls, and it’s more fun to look at them once you’ve relieved that urge.

  12. Chana says:

    Heehee.

    I have no clue, and these comments aren’t helping!!

    Oh well…

  13. Anonymous says:

    Chana – a slim chance and a fat chance both mean the same thing – improbable.
    The A and B points are at the points in the normal distribution that imply statistical rarity meaning improbable. This one is really quite clever and my favorite one so far. But then I’m kind of a science dork.

  14. rp71 says:

    My interpretation..

    This is a clever play on words: slim chance & fat chance. In a “normal distribution” (what’s shown), 99.73% of random numbers fall within +/- 3sigma.

    The cleverness is in slim/fat. 0.27% of the population is slim or fat – the other 99.73% of us are “normal”.

    I love this – first comment – very fun to look at these – thanks you =)

  15. LoopZilla says:

    Is this the Bell Curve?

  16. Erik says:

    hehe, you’ve got no chance! fat chance = slim chance = no chance. and as the posters above explained, nearly 100% of phenomena fall within 3 “units” of the center of a normal curve.

  17. Anonymous says:

    >_< omg i cannot believe i understood all that normal distribution stuff...
    i wanna punch my stats teacher now…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>