The story of the end of civilization (in two words).

card4006

This entry was posted in pain, politics, sickness, value. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The story of the end of civilization (in two words).

1. Beatriz Varella says:

Hello!
    First of all, I love your graphs. :)
    In this one, did you really mean that less pets = more famine?
    Or I got confused.
    Cheers!

• Sheena says:

Since famine is on the x-axis, it’s the independent variable. In this case, the number of pets is dependent on the level of famine. More famine equals less pets.

• Connor says:

– presumably because people are eating them? That’s what I first thought at least.

• Beatriz Varella says:

What first came into my mind was a sort of relationship between the # of pets we have in the world and the food that goes to them but could go to people.
        So, less pets I’d assume = less famine

But, I think this idea would make more if the y-axis title was cattle.

2. Pete says:

Presumably Fido/Tibbles = lunch

3. Stripe says:

At the risk of beating a dead horse, here’s a pair of oldies that I trot out whenever the subject arises:

“Our party, from necessity having been obliged to subsist some length of time on dogs, have now become extremely fond of their flesh. It is worthy of remark that while we lived principally on the flesh of this animal, we were much more healthy, strong, and more fleshy than we had been since we left the buffalo country. For my own part, I have become so perfectly reconciled to the dog that I think it an agreeable food and would prefer it vastly to lean venison or elk.”

-Meriwether Lewis, January 1, 1806 at Fort Clatsop

“The dogs now constitute a considerable part of our subsistence, and with most of the party has become a favorable food. Certain I am that it is a healthy, strong diet.”

-William Clark, April 13th 1806

Kind of gives a new meaning to the phrase, “Good dog”.