Two roads diverged in a yellow wood.

This entry was posted in value, work. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Two roads diverged in a yellow wood.

1. Maureen says:

aah, very true, except of course work should be changed to employment, because this being at home thing is a lot of work.

2. tushar says:

looks far more sad for women seeing it represented like that rather than just conceptually

3. Karen F says:

Actually, “work” is the appropriate axis title…. because for the “mommy track”, the work increases and the ability to have a life approaches zero.

4. Pingback: Tweets that mention Two roads diverged in a yellow wood. | Indexed -- Topsy.com

5. Nathan says:

um… my “Daddy Track” follows track B

6. Dave K says:

Wow that’s a sexist generalization of gender stereotypes if I ever saw one.

7. Brian says:

I couldn’t agree more with you Dave K. Perhaps the “Daddy Track” should be a long straight line in the middle and drops off rapidly half way along the “work” axis of this graph. As for the “Mommy Track,” I would make that more of a parabola since she starts to connect more with other mothers through day care/school than the father because he’s too busy working.

8. Rachel P says:

I agree with Dave K’s comment. Way to tear down working mothers, stay at home mothers…really any kind of mother.

9. Pig says:

I agree with Rachel P, I love to take things very seriously that shouldn’t be.

10. TBerculosis says:

Did anybody get the title reference????

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood is the first line of the Frost Poem “The Road Not Taken”.

By all means continue to overreact however.

• Leslie says:

The ironic interpretation, widely held by critics………

In this view, “The Road Not Taken” “is perhaps the most famous example of Frost’s own claims to conscious irony and ‘the best example in all of American poetry of a wolf in sheep’s clothing.’” … Frost himself warned “You have to be careful of that one; it’s a tricky poem – very tricky.” ……..

In the ironic interpretation, the final two lines:

I took the one less traveled by,
      And that has made all the difference.

cannot be taken literally : whatever difference the choice might have made, it could not have been made on the non-conformist or individualist basis of one road’s being less traveled, the speaker’s protestations to the contrary. The speaker admits in the second and third stanzas that both paths may be equally worn and equally leaf-covered, and it is only in his future recollection that he will call one road “less traveled by.”

11. Daniela says:

Sexist appears to be the new synonym for reality. *g*

12. Kari says:

I think this represents the general experiences and pressures men and women face when planning their careers and families — it’s descriptive, not prescriptive, *describing* sexist tendencies in society and *not* celebrating or reinforcing them! At any rate, it sucks for both mothers and fathers that this is what they feel a lot of pressure to conform to, and I expect that’s Jessica’s point with this.

• Elish says:

This is definitely relevant to not only my lifestyle, but everyone around me! I’ve recently discussed this topic on the pressures of parents, teachers, adults on children today in my English course in school. I have to admit, these roads definitely play right on the dot with my parents, however it’s a little more complex, JUST LIKE EVERYTHING IN LIFE. But personally what I’ve discovered, despite all these tormenting pressures, one has to balance dad’s will and mom’s views. They’re there to help, ideally speaking of course.

13. H says:

Well, certainly it all depends on what you consider “life.” If you have self-serving principles, longing for “self-fulfillment,” having a family would certainly be a drag. But if you’re having a family for a reason other than selfish ones, like the good of your spouse and children, it seems that spending more time with your family means more life, not less, and it’s the work that’s a drag.

14. two cents says:

Yes Tberculosis! — Robert Frost was my first thought. Yogi Berra was my second.

What Kari said.

16. Spencer says:

Ouch!

17. Furzan says:

I think this model depends on the people and the definition of work. Some moms will go in to the professional workforce. But wouldn’t many mothers argue that taking care of children is work? Also, shouldn’t the mom curve go back up, because after the children grow up she will have less work to do.

18. thedr9wningman says:

The no-kids track is great for both genders, all else being equal!

19. hugosays says:

those are some sad excuses for “dad’s”

20. a1s says:

Wait… does the title imply you have a choice of being a mother or a father [fridge logic]? Because that’s not true [captain obvious] . Yet, anyway…