Sputtering.

This entry was posted in pain. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Sputtering.

1. Grant says:

I used a neti pot for a few months a couple summers back. A whole lot of junk came out of my nose, but I never really felt any less congested, so I gave it up. I kind of suspect it of giving me a sinus infection, too.

2. Abi says:

I find neti-pots surprisingly effective. Certainly help with my allergies in comparison with the over-the-counter nasal sprays.

Just let me know if that’s TMI for a comedy blog!

3. Boo says:

I had to use a special doctor prescribed neti pot when I had a nasal polyp. It helped a great deal, but it sucked to use. I guess the good neti pots are the ones the doctors keep for themselves.

Sorry if that was kinda graphic, but Jessica started it!

4. maggie says:

squeezable plastic sport water bottle + warm salt water = poor man’s neti pot.

i used to get frequent sinus infections until i started doing the sinus rinse thing. awesome, but the initial shock is less than totally sweet.

They make syringes that you can use instead of the pots. They have a flaired end that snugs up to one side of your nose. You just push away up one side until you feel the water cross over and start coming out the other side of your nose. It’s really cool!

6. BJ says:

I used a squirt-bottle type a while back and was pretty happy with it.

The trick is to get the solution right (mine came with little packets, which I mixed with lukewarm filtered water) and to otherwise keep it religiously clean (I cleaned with alcohol after every use). Otherwise I can totally see getting an infection or similar and negating any therapeutic effect.

7. Jo says:

During the spanish inquisition water boarding was used to force people to confess to being witches. Just saying …

8. MCS says:

I don’t think I’d use the syringe style. The last thing you want to do is introduce pressure into your sinuses. Neti pots rely on gravity to help the flow, not pressure.

I use mine every night and it certainly helps my breathing.

9. Stripe says:

Has anyone considered the use of these “neti pots” (never seen one) as a potential home water-boarding device?

Aside from past uses, like determining which witch was which, it seems to me that home waterboarding could be a good way for parents to find out what their kids have been up to, out so late at night…

10. (x, why?) says:

Ick. My wife used one of those last winter. She didn’t exactly describe it as torture, but it was really, really gross.

11. Phreesh says:

Not sure how happy I am to discover what a neti pot is…

Anyway, the missing bits:

Water/Torture – five glasses of water + long drive

Water/Disputed Efficacy – Cold Fusion

Torture/Disputed Efficacy – Listening to Rush Limbaugh

12. Janelle says:

Neti pots can equal torture when you’re sick and forced to use one in order to avoid antibiotics. I found a great YouTube video of a Neti Pot add that made me laugh. You can see my blog post about it at:http://www.whatmakesmelaugh.com/2009/03/12/neti-pots/

13. cindy says:

If your neti potting hurts, you’re not doing it right.

Make sure the water is WARM, but not searingly hot. Cool water will hurt just as much as hot water.

Also, make sure there’s enough salt.

When it’s right, it feels pretty damn good!

14. Nicole says:

ooh I love neti pots! They clear me of my sinus infections most of the time. But man are they tough to get used to!

15. PeterZ says:

Happiness is a squeeze-bottle version used daily in the shower, with just the right amount of salt — being in the shower takes the gross factor way down — and too little salt is as bad or worse than too much. Works great at keeping my allergies down :)

16. Jim Van Zandt says:

If it’s unpleasant, you’re not doing it right. I suggest 1/3 teaspoon of salt per cup of water, and about 120 F.