Before and after.

This entry was posted in pain. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Before and after.

1. TBerculosis says:

I hate those stupid scooters people are using now instead of crutches. You’re 30!

Hopefully this is not a personal experience.

3. Kieran says:

@ Mike
    The byline of the post does say “Posted in Pain” – feel better Jessica!

Looks like she’ll have lots of time for posting.

5. vemi says:

Oh, I feel sorry for you :( Get well soon!
    But I wonder how to imagine the set of broken ankles… Like a ghostly cloud of broken bones?

6. Chaz says:

Looking over the other entries in ‘Pain’ I’m not sure that’s sufficient evidence to assume that they’re from personal experience. That is, it’s, “Posted in: Pain” not “Posted, in Pain”.

Just my meaningless analysis.

7. Isherwood says:

As an experienced motorcyclist, I’m disappointed that scooters are seen as something less dangerous and more casual than a full-on motorcycle. Both call for proper protective attire, and expert training.

Indeed, get well Jessica.

8. Sarah says:

I know what you mean! :\ I broke my ankle when I was 8 riding a scooter.

9. tahrey says:

are we talking small bit of shaped metal with castors on it, propelled much like a skateboard, or a small vespa-like motorcycle?

as a driver, cyclist, and short-time-served (still learning, been about a year) motorcyclist on both “real” bikes and scooters, i’m straying towards an attitude that anyone on two wheels should have a full michelin-man suit (encompassing rider AND cycle) full of air and packing peanuts, and festooned with flashing lights. which would mean that us on two wheels are less likely to get smeared by the more moronic breed of driver (they’re surprisingly few, but it only takes one bad apple to ruin your day) or end up underground after making a bad decision on a slippery surface (i’ve faceplanted off a pushbike before, so low speed is no defence)… and those of us on 4 wheels who actually pay attention to what’s going on would have to worry less about what an obviously incompetent rider in our vicinity is going to do next, whether they’re about to come off in front/heading towards the side of/plain pile into the back of us…

would make filtering through traffic a little tricker, however.

i do second the sentiment about needing proper kit even on a put-put though. my first long distance riding experience was on one, and it was just as difficult to handle (vs a pedal cycle) as the bike I now own, and actually faster (the CVT and sweet fuel-injected motor easily pushing it towards 75mph on the flat, mine can just manage high 60s).

all I had, renting it pretty much on a whim in italy (considerably cheaper than a car, unlike in most other countries), was an open face helmet they gave me without even checking the size, jeans, a pair of nikes and a long-sleeved button-down shirt… no gloves, no jacket, no leathers. Not sure if I’d do that again now, even being far less wobbly and far less likely to scare the everloving crap out of myself twice a mile. It sure helped cool the cruel summer sun a bit, but I dread to think of the injuries should my newbie mistakes have been even a few percent more grave in places, or the brief but intense rainshower that came on after I returned it to the hire shop had taken place a day earlier. lightweight riding gear is apparently available. And it only takes a minute for me to pull my own gear on (ebay specials! but still good spec) – even over the top of my work clothes.