You may not, but you can.

This entry was posted in standards. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to You may not, but you can.

1. jake says:

hahah nice.

2. Anonymous says:

But then what about asking for forgiveness?

3. nonskanse says:

It appears that the forgiveness point is not at 0 on the asking scale. I find that asking for forgiveness requires very little asking.

4. Anonymous says:

It’s easier to get forgiveness than permission.

5. dagfooyo says:

“When I was a kid I used to pray to God for a bike. Then I realised God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike, and prayed to God for forgiveness.” – Emo Phillips

6. Chaz says:

I think there’s room for a middle point, where you sneakily ask for permission for something you’ve already done. I’ve seen it happen a few times, still required a touch of forgiveness later on though!

7. Stripe says:

Looking within reveals the converse, though. Many people will grant themselves permission readily, and yet never forgive themselves for their perceived failings. Works for me.

The Lake of Fire exists only in your mind: It is the seething cauldron of your regret.

So play nice.

8. strayhiker says:

Stripe-
    Oooh, that’s nice.

Chaz:
    Agreed, I’ve seen a number of ‘weasels’ do it.

9. Janeiac says:

It’s like my dad always said, “It’s easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.”

10. Rami says:

One of the maxims of the world of work, I have become convinced, is: Its better to ask forgiveness than permission. Too sad I’m afraid.

11. that’s how it works…

12. PlayingNicely says:

Speaking as one from whom both permission and forgiveness are frequently sought: those who ask permission get the nicer and tastier goodies when it’s time to dole out treats. Those who ask forgiveness might get their situation straightened out (tantamount to being forgiven), but they don’t get first shot at the good stuff next time I’ve got good stuff to give out. And I let them know that before “next time” rolls around.

Is it capricious if everyone knows these rules? Play nicely, indeed.

13. My mom taught me that lesson. It’s easier to get forgiveness than permission.

14. Craig says:

I HATE that line of thought… it leads to people doing things they KNOW they shouldn’t and then asking for forgiveness knowing they’ll probably get it.

For instance, a friend of mine’s wife, decided to buy 3 cats one day… 3. When they already had a cat and a dog, just moved into a new house and he had payed off all her old debts… He never would have said yes to that.

15. Trent says:

Totally agree with craig. Its manipulative and disgusting, yet sadly and undeniably effective.

I would’ve drowned the cats and then thrown that line right back at her.