What are you working for?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to What are you working for?

1. laloca says:

“endentured”… like with fake teeth?

2. Zac says:

Looks like my new kitchen!

3. Anonymous says:

I don’t get it?

4. Kieran says:

There should be a second category for this overlap which refers to those who are working to install these symbols of status in others’ homes. . .

5. lyrical says:

I’m in real estate… and rotflmao

6. lyrical says:

“you mean I have to pay for my status symbols?”

7. Liza says:

Ugh. You hit today’s nail right on the head.

except mine would be:
    circle 1: paying bills
    circle 2: having an apartment
    circle 3: keeping my job

*groan*

8. Anonymous says:

Your handwriting looks familiar…. are you the person that wrote The Facts in the notebook on GhostWriter?

9. Anonymous says:

You don’t have to work for those things; use your credit card!

10. Lapis says:

There are days you are so scarily accurate it makes me want to quit my job and move into a cave.

This is one of them.

11. You Might Think... says:

laloca,

‘indentured’ as in someone who agrees to work for free for another person for a specific amount of time in exchange for a service or the cost of something the ‘servant’ can’t afford. After the time was up, the servant was a free person.

Many European people paid off the huge cost of coming to the American colonies this way. Of course, the ‘master’ picked the jobs the servant did.
    Now, many Asians and others make the same deal for the cost of coming here. But that cost is usually several times what the ‘master’ actually pays (how much can 1 shipping container cost?!)and the sweatshop labor seems to never add up to what they ‘owe’.

So, for a dream kitchen, you have to work long and hard to pay off the credit charges for all the items listed.

12. Never there to enjoy it says:

You had to post this AFTER my remodel. If I had only known . . .

13. Rachel says:

I like it, but the cost of a kitchen remodel’s not exactly enough to quit the rat race either.

14. Anonymous says:

My boss showed me this. Funny, sad, true, etc.

Been working Dave Ramsey’s financial plan for about a year though, and have paid off about $10k of debt. He often quotes “the borrower is the slave to the lender.” Two years ’til freedom for me..

Get out from under it if you can..!

15. Anonymous says:

YES. I’ll never understand the attraction to these things. Now all that money on books I can see!

16. J. B. says:

In our case: cork floors (sustainable), 3-inch butcher block countertop (practical) and high-performance windows (efficient), all in a $35k house we own free and clear. It pays to live off the beaten path.

17. kiki says:

It’s funny – I have all those things and read that like, I’m indentured as a housekeeper – keeping them clean. Sad. Funny. Funny/sad.

18. SingleDad says:

Oh my god.
    Kiki.
    I’m sorry to interpret that comment outside of the overall context of your life, but do you realise how much of a spoiled, whining trophy wife you sound right there? We all have to clean our kitchens.
    Aside from the larger windows, yours is arguably far easier to clean than most.
    So sad AND funny, I guess.

19. Bon says:

So much of what I want and what I don’t want at the same time. I wasn’t laughing in mirth but in ironic wryness.

20. milkfilledandroid says:

I love how perspectives differ. I got that kiki was a house-cleaner by profession… cleaning other people’s houses.

i wonder which it is? :)

21. Tim Clague says:

or…

Things you wished your parents hadn’t ripped out of the house in the 70s and replaced with plastic.

22. Caoimhe says:

Yeah I read this one completely differently…

Low-paid migrant builders came to mind; fitting kitchens far from home for a pitance.

23. Zot says: